about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // turtle screen cleaner

Turtle Screen Cleaner


My dad loves his tablet. He's always checking email, watching videos, and catching up on Facebook. So for Father's Day I thought it would be fun to make him a little screen cleaner to wipe away the fingerprints. And I couldn't resist using English paper piecing hexagons and making it into a turtle shape. Dad's like turtles, right?

If you or your dad need to clear away the smudges on your phone, computer or tablet, why not make one...or a few? These definitely aren't fiber-free so they may leave a few bits of lint behind. But they are super soft and will wipe away dust and fingerprints.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Here's what you need:

Fleece
Cotton fabric
Felt
Thread
Embroidery floss

Turtle Screen Cleaner Template PDF

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Use the 1-1/2" hexagon template in the PDF to make a hexagon (see my tutorial here). It seems a little strange to do this with fleece, but it works. Just make the seam allowances a little larger and be careful to avoid stretching as best as you can.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Cut a fleece hexagon that is just a bit smaller than the hexagon template. Cut a hexagon from fabric that is about 3/8" larger than the template. Center the fleece on the back of the cotton hexagon.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Lay the paper template on top of the fleece and baste the hexagon as you normally would.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Cut out a turtle body from felt, then remove the papers from the hexagon "shells".

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Make a turtle sandwich! Place the felt body in between the shells, with their wrong sides facing.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Thread a needle with three strands of embroidery floss and stitch around the hexagon with running stitch, hiding the knots between the shell layers.

Turtle Screen Cleaner
Turtle Screen Cleaner

Can I just tell you that it felt very strange to make something like this and not put a face on it? It did. And yet, no face seemed like the right choice for this one.

Turtle Screen Cleaner

Now this turtle is ready to rub his belly all over the screen and clean it up for you!

Turtle Screen Cleaner

And now that I've made this little guy, I do believe that I need to make more screen cleaners, or maybe some other little critters that use fleece hexagons. They are just too fun, too soft, and too cute!

48 comments:

  1. It's soooo cut and lovely. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is this?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. c'est tellement adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! i love love love love love this!! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:25 AM

    Your turtle is soo sweet. Now I need to ask my Mom if she'll make me one for my birthday :)
    You just made my day thanks for sharing :)
    Jessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable - thanks for the tutorial! I can think of several people that I could make these for...nobody likes a smudgy screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a brilliant idea! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is SOOO cute!! I need one for my tablet. It seems that Kettle chips make for a smudgy iPad screen. I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this evening that links to your tutorial:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-turtle-tablet-screen-cleaner/2014/06/12/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these as I do all your projects! Dad might need one and everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute, and so simple. Hope your dad likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited by your fleece hexie. I've wanted to make some! Off to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Would a microfiber belly work as well... although it is not as 'fluffy'. It may need padding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microfiber probably would work! You could either add batting to that layer, or fatten up the turtle with stuffing!

      Delete
  15. Aks everyone! I'm so glad that my turtley friend is loved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable can't wait to make these for my friends Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, you are the most clever-est person! This is *adorable*!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute, super clever and such a perfect 'dad' kind of gift. You're a genius! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So lovely, my daughter will love it! Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh so cute and clever. Would be great for the kids as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww this is too cute!!! Maybe I'll make a mini version of it and use it both as a phone strap and screen cleaner! Thank you so much for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore it!!! Cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how cute, and you know what you can make the bottom. "shell" out of the micro fabic cloth that most of us use for the screens to be cleaned, and still be as cute as can be. Well I am off to make a few "turtles" to clean a few screens......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get some microfiber now!

      Delete
  24. This is so, so cute! I can tell you for certain, though, that my dad would never use this. I would though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is an artist and loves quirky things. He also cleans his tablet screen way more than I do! Your could also make this without the turtle body layer for a more basic version.

      Delete
  25. That is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun little project! So doable, thank you for sharing the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is darling!! I am doing like 5 swaps rightow and looking for little trinkets to include and this is absolutely perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a great idea. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fantastic is this?! Definitely need to make one, or more.. great for pressies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is so cute, my grandkids would love it. Now, I just need to find a turtle shape or even just an outline for the turtle, I am not one that can draw. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you download the PDF, there's a template you can use...then you don't need to draw it yourself!

      Delete
  32. Anonymous4:20 PM

    My mother comes into my room today.

    "Are you. . .paper piecing?"

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cute idea ! I discoverd it via Spring cleaning as wrote Emmanuelle in is blog http://lemarquoirdelise.over-blog.com/2015/04/spring-cleaning.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you !
    Very good idea !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous2:31 AM

    j'adore!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your turtles are being created in FRANCE!! by women bloggers. Congrats for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  37. just what i need thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  38. so enjoy my turtle, pleas can I take the instructions to share with a craft group that meets in our local library?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I tried making a sample turtle last night, using a microfibre cloth, and mine turned out a lot messier-looking than yours. (I don't know what I was thinking--I didn't even manage to keep the print on the fabric straight.) Any tips on keeping it all together nicely while you work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't worked with microfiber, but I know it's pretty slippery. My only suggestion is WonderClips. They should really help hold things as you stitch.

      Delete
  40. BTW, Anonymous: I love that comment about your mother asking if you are paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cute! I'll have to make one of these for myself. The only fleece in my stash is fusible, but I'd think a hexagon shaped piece should work, and could even be fused in place.

    I think I know why no face seems appropriate for this little guy. The normal orientation of a turtle has you seeing the back of his head - no face there. Since the turtle body is flat, as opposed to 3D like a real turtle, you don't have any side of the head to work with either. So your top view of the turtle is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fleece doesn't need to be hemmed, I think. It should not fray.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous9:14 AM

    I love this idea! Our girls would love to make this for their dad. I'm pretty sure that they will change it up a bit and try to make a bear screen cleaner! Their dad is native american and all of our kids' names mean bear in different native tribes.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!